Merrill Edge is a US-based online brokerage brand that offers a variety of investment and online trading services in a wide range of financial products, such as stocks, bonds, certificates of deposits (CDs), options, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), mutual funds, and others. The broker was launched in 2010 by the BofA Securities, a part of the Bank of America’s retail banking division. They provide their clients with their own proprietary platform, useful trading tools, and educational resources. However, they do not offer forex, CFD, or crypto trading.
Merrill Edge Review Introduction
In this Merrill Edge review, we will take a look at some of the most important factors worth considering when choosing a broker for your online trading needs. This includes trading platforms, trading tools, research and education, account funding options, customer support and broker regulation.
You may also wish to view my best forex brokers based on countless hours that I have spent researching and testing hundreds of brokers, all of which you can see in my forex broker reviews. You can also use my free trading tool to compare brokers including Merrill Edge.
Merrill Edge Platforms & Tools
Merrill Edge has two trading platform options:
- Merrill Edge MarketPro: The platform is intuitive and user friendly, offering the user access to real-time market analysis using built-in indicators and analysis tools. It features a fully customizable user interface, full trading capabilities, live market analysis, access to BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research, and streaming and interactive charts, with multiple chart types and time frames. The platform is only available to clients with combined balances of $50,000 or more in their BofA banking and Merrill Edge investment accounts who trade at least 15 times in a quarter.
- Merrill Edge Mobile App: With this app, you can gain access to your account anytime from anywhere in the world. It features a customizable dashboard, interactive charts, planning tools and calculators, watchlists, alerts, and research tools. The app is available for iOS and Android devices. For non-compatible devices, the platform can be accessed via a web browser from the Merrill Edge website.
Merrill Edge Research & Education
The broker provides their clients with access to the BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research, as well as third-party insights and analysis from Morningstar, CFRA (powered by data from S&P Global).
There is a collection of educational resources, such as articles, tutorial videos, and webinars, to help their clients improve their financial and investing knowledge. They cover topics like general investing, trading strategies, and more.
Merrill Edge Trading Accounts
Merrill Edge offers a variety of account types to suit different investors’ goals, and the account can be opened as an individual, joint, or custodial account. These are the main account types offered by this broker:
- Merrill Edge Self-directed: for those who wish to manage their own investment portfolio
- Merrill Guided Investing: managed by professionals, 0.45% annual fee and a minimum investment of $5,000
- Merrill Guided Investing (advisor): 0.85% annual fee and a minimum investment of $20,000
Merrill Edge Account Funding
Merrill Edge accepts few methods for account funding or withdrawals, including wire transfer, check, electronic bank deposit (ACH), and external securities transfer. Transaction fees and the processing time vary with the method used.
Merrill Edge Customer Service
The broker’s customer support team can be reached via phone, email, and online chat, and they are available from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, Monday to Friday and from 7:30 a.m. ET to 6 p.m. ET on Saturdays.
Merrill Edge Regulation
Merrill Edge is a US-based brokerage firm, so they are regulated by U.S. authorities. The broker is registered with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) — an independent, nongovernmental regulatory body that makes and enforces the rules governing registered brokers and broker-dealer firms in the United States.
Merrill Edge Review Summary
Merrill Edge is a U.S. online broker that is linked to the Bank of America. They offer a decent range of investment products and management services, along with advanced trading platforms and a collection of educational resources. However, they do not offer forex, crypto, or CFD trading.
It is worth mentioning that some of the trading products and services in this Merrill Edge review may differ or not be available to traders in some countries due to regulations. As brokers terms can change over time, please verify all information is up to date directly from the Merrill Edge broker website which you can visit by using the link below.
Trading complex instruments can come with a high risk. You should consider whether you understand how investments and trading work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing all of your money.